Training 2018

Please only post details of Mountain Safety & Awareness

Training 2018

Postby Sarae » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:13 pm

At the committee meeting last night we briefly discussed training.

We have previously put on courses led by Peak Mountaineering in ropework, navigation and alpine skills amongst others.

I wish to get a feel of the types of (mountaineering based) training inc level if poss, folk would be interested in, and if sufficient interest, I’ll contact our ‘trainers’ for an approximate cost.

If I could have your suggestions/requests within the next 3 weeks I could get something sorted by summer...
Thanks
Sara
Sarae

Re: Training 2018

Postby Lindsay M » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:18 pm

The navigation course I attended last year was excellent so I can thoroughly recommend that to anyone who is interested.

I'd be interested in learning some ropework. Level = a bit of a noob
Lindsay M

Postby Kev » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:14 pm

What about something to do with climbing progression - i.e. moving up to the next grade, building confidence, moving from single to multi-pitch etc. I'm guessing you'd need a group of people climbing at a similar grade to make it work though. Not sure...

I second what Lindsay says about the nav course, although it didn't seem there was that much interest from the LMC last year.
Kev

Postby Jodie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:18 pm

I'd definitely be interested in the navigation course!
Jodie

Postby Sandra » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:57 am

I have been looking into improving my lead climbing through a course in the summer with Plas y Brenin. Something similar might be of interest to others, too.
Sandra

Postby Claire T » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:39 am

Navigation and introduction to rope work would be of interest to me.
Claire T

Postby Ed Steele » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:24 pm

I'd be interested in something on rope work, I'm looking at doing an 'advanced scrambling' course this year but if there was a lower cost alternative that would be great.
Ed Steele

Postby Will Hunt » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:54 pm

I'm intrigued by the suggestion of ropework training - it's come up in half the posts so far. What ropework is it that people are keen to learn? Moving together on easy terrain? Confidence rope stuff on scrambling? Keeping the ropes tidy on a multipitch stance? Self rescue on multipitch? Equalising belays? All this stuff could be called ropework but I doubt you'd cover it all on one course.
Will Hunt

Postby Lindsay M » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:19 pm

Will Hunt wrote:I'm intrigued by the suggestion of ropework training - it's come up in half the posts so far. What ropework is it that people are keen to learn? Moving together on easy terrain? Confidence rope stuff on scrambling? Keeping the ropes tidy on a multipitch stance? Self rescue on multipitch? Equalising belays? All this stuff could be called ropework but I doubt you'd cover it all on one course.

I was deliberately vague. I am the Jon Snow of ropes.
Lindsay M

Postby Will Hunt » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:39 pm

I ask really because I wonder whether some of it is the kind of thing that we can do just as well on Tuesday nights out at the crag with club members learning from other club members. I, and I'm sure many others, can give anyone who asks information about building belays and equalising them, and offer tips on stance organisation (stack the ropes on the ankles and everything else magically falls into place). Not professional advice but free, easily accessible, and good enough to get most jobs done.
Self-rescue and multi-pitch problem solving is something I know too little about and would like to improve. I'm not going to get the time to go on a course but if someone can give me a few tips on a Tuesday night then it would be great.
Will Hunt

Postby Ed Steele » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:14 pm

As someone who is a novice climber and is keen to learn so I can get onto grade 2 and 3 scrambles and then lead them, belay construction would be ideal for me.
Ed Steele

Postby Luke J » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:45 am

I'm more than happy to teach/give advice on basic climbing stuff on the Tuesday evening meets - things like belay building, gear placement, basic rope work - just ask or get in touch before the meet. As Will says it's not professional advice but it's free, easily accessible and good enough to get the job done. It's how I learned the basics.

As a course I'd be interested in something along the lines of what Sandra has suggested - I'd quite like to improve my lead climbing. I seem to be lacking in motivation, so perhaps a course is the answer.
Luke J

Postby Lindsay M » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:38 pm

Will and Luke, if you guys are happy to spend a bit of time on basic skills it would be much appreciated.
Lindsay M

Postby Sarae » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:25 pm

Thanks everyone for comments/suggestions so far.
I ll leave this open another week and then do a bit of collating and suggestioning.
Sara
Sarae

Postby JR » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:51 am

Here's a thought - who in the club has either had training for, or actually knows how to:
escape the system;
do self-rescue (i.e. prussic-ing in this context);
do glacier rescue (i.e. hauling)?

Might be worth starting a new thread to get such a list & then having a meet up to do a refresher on these skills passing knowledge passing knowledge between us.

One thing I'd like to see is ensuring that all members moving from leading indoors to out, also know how to handle re-threading lower offs on sports climbs prior to actually first experiencing them!

When I'm back mobile again I'd be more than happy to assist: most of this stuff can be demonstrated at ground level.

JR.
JR

Next

Return to Mountain Safety & Awareness