H(13) Helyg Hut, Ogwen Valley, Snowdonia

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks

Re: H(13) Helyg Hut, Ogwen Valley, Snowdonia

Postby John McMahon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:15 pm

Ed, you will need to bring a sleeping bag. Some huts do have pillows but I would bring one if I were you. If you're short of space then just bring a pillow case and stuff it with spare clothes or a towel.

I will be getting to the hut around 6pm. If for some reason I am not there when you arrive, I will leave the door open and the key to the parking barrier on the mantle piece above the fire.

If you think you'll arrive at the hut before 6pm, then post below and I'll try and make arrangements.

Cheers
john mcmahon
John McMahon

Postby Paul_C » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:52 pm

I am not coming along to this weekend. Other plans.
Paul_C

Postby JR » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:31 am

Looks like you lucky, lucky people have managed to get some half decent weather on order for this weekend! Make the most of it!

JR.
JR

Postby Lindsay M » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:55 am

JR wrote:Looks like you lucky, lucky people have managed to get some half decent weather on order for this weekend! Make the most of it!

JR.

Hmmmm, this JWIS report lacks its usual level of detail. I am disappointed.
Lindsay M

Postby Jodie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:09 pm

Will S wrote:Jodie,

I'm sure that you will find other people wanting to head up Crib goch that weekend if you are in North wales the same time as this meet. For reference there is a bunk barn across the road from the hut;
http://www.tryfanwales.co.uk/

Or a nicer one a little further down the road that I have stayed at before;
http://gwerngofisaf.co.uk/

If you are staying close then I'm sure coordinating with other club people will be easy, the same goes for anyone one else wanting to head over for the weekend now that the hut is full.

Unfortunately Huts can have quite strict occupancy rules (for fire Regs) so I'm afraid that joining any communal meals in the hut isn't really possible. I know it seems a little weird as you are a club member too and would be just across the road, but there is a bit of an etiquette to using huts and we don't want to get a bad rep for the club.

There are pubs down in Capel Curig and Plas y Brenin also does good food but both bunk barns have kitchen for making your own food.

Will

Sorry only just seen this! Bit of a long shot and short notice but if anyone does fancy car sharing and booking one of those places above and doing Snowdon please let me know!
Jodie

Postby JR » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:24 am

Ok, more J-WIS detail as requested.

Tomorrow's the best day; expect dry, mild, slowly increasing southerly wind and potential for sunny periods in the afternoon.
Sunday: quite breezy from the south, increasingly cloudy, slightly cooler, increasing potential for heavy showers into the afternoon.

JR.
JR

Postby Lindsay M » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:04 am

What. A. Weekend.

Thanks to John for leading and also for cooking the communal meal which was delicious (you could probably tell by the rate I was shoveling it into my face). Thanks to everyone else for the craic and for arranging a lift back to the hut for me and David on Saturday so we didn't miss dinner. Thanks to the weather gods for being benevolent. Thanks to my mum... Nah don't worry, I'm done now.
Lindsay M

Postby John McMahon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:05 pm

Meet Leader's Report

With a good forecast for Tremadog on Friday 13th, I arrived at Ian's at the ungodly hour of 9.40am. This had meant me getting up at 7.30am, as near to an alpine start as I get. Arriving at Tremadog some three hours later it was pissing down. No need for discussion we headed straight into Eric's, only to find it was no longer Eric's, it has finally sold. With plastic ivy now growing up the back corner, the gear shop gone and the toilet painted grey, I realised I don't deal with change well. For us oldies, Tremadog might never feel the same again.
Abandoning all thoughts of climbing, with bellies full of luke warm bacon butties and washing up water tea and coffee, (come back Eric!) we headed off to the Helyg Hut.
Here we found a place very much in need of change. The Hut's beautiful location is slightly spoilt by its obsession with its own Everest connections. The tired old black and white photographs of white men in dated mountaineering equipment, including some oxygen packs that wouldn't look out of place on Tintin, really need bringing up to date. Some nice colour posters of Alex Honnold soloing with his shirt off, or Steph Davis base jumping, might brighten the place up a bit. Maybe even a portrait picture of Paris Lees, would give the place a modern feel. We made the best of it and tried to light a fire. The wood wasn't dried out enough and proved disappointing in terms of both heat (or lack of it) and atmospheric flames. The place was cheered by the arrival of the LMC members and a pleasant evening was had.
Summer arrived on the Saturday with blue skies and temperatures near to high summer, lots of splendid walking and climbing was done. Only marred by an injury to Lindsay S, suffering a badly bashed heel in a spectacular pondule, as she came off some big multi pitch on Tryfan. She managed to get off the mountain and back to the hut, but was limping badly on Sunday morning. Hope the prognosis isn't too bad.
Saturday evening was really pleasant and sunny, the picnic bench outside the hut is great, but marred by the overgrown Hawthorn that completely blocks the view of Tryfan. Again the place needs sprucing up, cut down the tree and add a patio with a BBQ area and parasol. That would enhance the outside and get rid of the neglected old worldy feel of the place. It might be a good idea to forward this report to the Climbers Club with a footnote telling them to get their finger out. Maybe Marq or Kev could let them know directly.
The meal on Saturday night was very enjoyable with everyone contributing work, food and craic. Special shout out for Keith's veggie chilli and Dave P's home made German Cheesecake. Dave C, there's a new kid on the block! Karl then demonstrated how to get rid of aches and pains by rolling around the floor on a wine bottle. Hmmm?
Winter had returned on Sunday morning and our happy team dispersed around Snowdonia. The weather did improve and was better than forecast, but I don't know what people did.
A very enjoyable Meet. Big thanks to everyone.
john mcmahon
John McMahon

Previous

Return to Weekend Meets