Buckspool Farm, Pembrokeshire, May 26-28

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks

Buckspool Farm, Pembrokeshire, May 26-28

Postby johnnightingale » Mon May 01, 2017 7:50 pm

John McMahon is organising this camping meet over the long weekend at the end of May.
johnnightingale

Re: Buckspool Farm, Pembrokeshire, May 26-28

Postby JR » Wed May 03, 2017 10:57 am

For those wishing to get off the beaten track in Pembrokeshire, this meet coincides with this year's final Range West briefing:
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/pembrokerange- ... fings-2017

JR.
JR

Postby Joss S » Fri May 05, 2017 10:23 am

I'll be on this meet for sure. Hoping to stay down for the week after (work permitting).

Joss.
Joss S

Postby Kharrison23 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:53 pm

I will be on this meet weather permitting.

In Gloucester for the week before so I will be there from Thursday Lunchtime if anyone wants to climb on thursday afternoon.

Lisa should then be joining me from Thursday night.

Karl
Kharrison23

Postby John McMahon » Sat May 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Thanks for posting this up John.
Pembroke is a Rock Climbers paradise. Grades of all standard on glorious rock that affords pro as good as bolts, in an adventurous setting.
I am hoping to get down there on the Thursday night.
I will try to bag the back left hand corner of the field to make a 'LMC Camp'.
I am planning to stay for the following week as long as weather and stamina holds up, I am already partnered up for this.
It's a climbing festival that week so it should be a good atmosphere.
For those who haven't been before, drive to Bosherston and as you are entering the hamlet, the camping field is on the right. If you see a church on the left you've gone too far, it's 50 metres back. The pub is 50 metres on and serves food. It gets crowded on bank holidays so if you want to eat there it's a good idea to book. The details are below.
St Govan's Country Inn, Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, Bosherston, Pembroke SA71 5DN
Phone: 01646 661311.
If enough people want to eat in there on the Saturday night, I could book us a few tables together. So post early if you are coming and would like to eat in the pub on Saturday.
Looking forward to it already!

Cheers
john mcmahon
John McMahon

Postby Ainsworp » Sat May 06, 2017 9:53 pm

I am planning on coming to this one - prob with my son and the dog, plan to walk the coastline

Peter
Ainsworp

Postby Sarae » Mon May 15, 2017 12:49 pm

Weather permitting, i will be there with my pushbike!
I would be delighted to join you in the pub for a Saturday night tea.
Sara
Sarae

Postby Dave C » Wed May 17, 2017 6:52 pm

Maybe...
Dave C

Postby Kharrison23 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:21 am

Unless the forecast is terrible Lisa and I are still planning to attend.

We would also be interested in the pub on Saturday night.

Karl
Kharrison23

Postby John McMahon » Thu May 18, 2017 8:41 pm

OK that makes me + 3 for dinner in the pub on Saturday night.
I am thinking 8pm would be about right, if anyone else wants to join us post below.
I'll book it in the next couple of days.

Cheers
john mcmahon
John McMahon

Postby CathS » Fri May 19, 2017 9:05 pm

I'm planning to come as long as the weather's OK. In which case I'd like to have dinner in the pub with ever
    yone on Saturday night.
    CathS

Postby Ian Ashman » Sat May 20, 2017 7:12 am

John I am coming to this too. Also, there will a few others from Huddersfield area in Pembroke that weekend as well. Can you count me in for me in pub please for Saturday night (I'll check with Keith as he is veggie).
    Ian Ashman

Postby Tom_J » Sat May 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi,

I would like to attend this meet.

I will need to travel down on Friday evening, and will need to head back on Monday evening.

Jen is thinking about coming too. With that in mind, could anyone with experience of climbing at Pembroke tell me if there are many accessible routes (i.e. definitely have an escape route that doesn't require prussiking up such as a walkround or a nearby diff to get up. It would be also be nice if some of these don't require abbing in either)? I guess we would be looking to climb up to VS.

John - Jen and me would like to join dinner in the pub on Saturday, if we're not to late...

Tom
    Tom_J

Postby John McMahon » Sat May 20, 2017 5:05 pm

Tom

the nearest area to Bosherston with these conditions id Saddle Head. It has an easy walk down to a big ledge half way up the cliff with a whole row of starred diffs and severes, about 12 of them. Plus a sprinkling of starred VSs. If you are prepared to drive along the coast there is a wide range of stuff like this to go at.
    More adventurous offerings at these grades are on Stennis Head, none tidal and not abseil approaches. There are other areas too. If you are prepared to abseil in there is tons to go at, much of it none tidal.

Currently I have me and 8 others for dinner on Saturday. I will ring them on Monday, so if you want to join in, post before then.

The forecast is looking good at the moment, if this stays the same I thought a walk through the Lily Ponds to Broadhaven Beach on Sunday night might be nice (about 15 minutes). I will bring wood for a fire and a bottle of Havana Club. If you are up for this bring a bottle. There are foot bridges across the ponds, so the return journey might be fun with a headtorch and belly full of booze. So this is not for the faint hearted. I think there might be a few fires going on the beach, so it could turn out to be a good social evening.

This is shaping up to be a good Meet.

Cheers
    john mcmahon
    John McMahon

Postby CathS » Sat May 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Hi Tom

I'd also recommend the Saddle Head Upper Tier area. There are over 30 single pitch routes to go at ranging from Diff to HVS, with an easy and fun Grade 1 scramble approach (or short abseil) and a large, completely non-tidal rocky platform area at the base. Luke and I had two days of excellent climbing there last year. It can get very busy and a bit silly at the 'popular' end of Saddle Head, but the new Wired Guide has loads of new routes under the approach ridge, which aren't in the Rockfax guidebook, and there was virtually no-body on these. We found these to be almost all quality routes on great rock with good gear. For a bit more of a sea cliff climbing feel but without a scary abseil, Sea Mist at the far end of the Upper Tier is a superb exposed route on a hanging slab over the abyss. It's given HS4b in the Wired Guide, but after a couple of tricky moves on the initial traverse, it's really only an easy going Severe at most.

Other relatively friendly venues are Bow-Shaped Slabs (with three really nice relatively easy HS slab routes) and a bit further east along the coast Giltar Slabs at Penally (routes mostly Diff to Severe with one or two VSs). Both require abseils to access (and a low tide/not too lively seas, as the bases are tidal) but you can see the bottom from the top (which is always reassuring) and both have Diff graded options to get back up. Giltar has stakes at the top, which makes setting up an abseil pretty straightforward. The abseil is slightly more awkward to arrange at Bow-Shaped Slabs. A big hex is useful. The top of the crag here is also slightly more intimidating as it's a bit gravelly and exposed, but it's nice when you get down to the bottom especially at low tide when you can wander around on a small beach and caves.

Finally if you are happy to drive a bit further, Porthclais in North Pembroke is an excellent intro sea cliff climbing venue - with a short (15m) abseil in (easy to set up) or low tide scramble approach, and a good range of quality routes from VDiff to HVS.
    CathS

Next

Return to Weekend Meets