Day Walk: Bleaklow (Peak District) Saturday 17th June

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks

Day Walk: Bleaklow (Peak District) Saturday 17th June

Postby Mountain_Bee » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi everyone,

So the next planned walk is Bleaklow from Torside Car Park on Saturday 17th June, please don't show up on Sunday as I won't be there!

A walk up to Bleaklow Head (Bleaklow), from car park at Torside Reservoir. This is a fairly long walk that takes roughly 6.5hours, covering a distance of about 20km (a rough measurement of where I`d been on the recce).

We will Start out at the car park taking the Longdendale Trail NE to Birchen Bank Wood and the River Etherow, take the path up through the woods and avoid the "fall" along the edge of the clough (Near Black Clough) by walking near the Grouse Butts for a short while and then rejoin the path along the clough. In some places the path is eroding away down the steep side of the clough but not impassable. With that in mind probably not the most child friendly walk and dogs will need a lead as there are some steep drops.

After reaching the top we will then follow the Pennine Way down above Torside Clough and Longdendale Trail back to the car park.

It was fortunate to go slightly off route on this walk when I went last time as we saw a number of "march" Hares still in their white coats.

This is not a wet weather walk or a walk for foggy conditions, so if it is 'bleak', pardon the pun, we will head elsewhere or cancel.

Meet at the Torside Car Park at 10 am for a prompt set off (there are parking charges).

Please make sure you bring food and water and all usual Hill day equipment, clothing, sun cream, hat etc.

Post below if you intend to come along, my number is in the private section.
Mountain_Bee

Re: Day Walk: Bleaklow (Peak District) Saturday 17th June

Postby Maggie C » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:08 pm

Hello Bee

I intend to come on Saturday. I think Dawn will be coming with me too. I have my fingers crossed for a dry week and a nice day on Saturday.

Maggie
Maggie C

Postby johnnightingale » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:38 am

I'm coming too.
johnnightingale

Postby Sandra » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:49 pm

I'll be coming along for this one :)
Sandra

Postby Lindsay M » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:34 am

I'm interested, anyone want to car share?
Lindsay M

Postby LindsayStagg » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:14 pm

I plan on attending this meet.
LindsayStagg

Postby Mountain_Bee » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:11 pm

Great to see the interest for this walk! Looking forward to it and the weather looks good too!
Mountain_Bee

Return to Weekend Meets