Crookrise 20th June

Topics related to evening meets, including indoor and outdoor evening climbing meets

Crookrise 20th June

Postby JR » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:49 am

So who's up for Crookrise tomorrow evening?

It won't be as hot as the weekend or today, but that's probably a good thing!

Cheers,

JR.
JR

Re: Crookrise 20th June

Postby Marq » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:50 am

JR - you got there moments before me!

Crookrise (SD 987 557) is a moorland gritstone crag, just north of Embsay, which in turn is just north of Skipton.
Facing the Elm Tree Inn in the middle of the village of Embsay, turn left onto Pasture Road and follow it up to Embsay Moore Reservoir (0.85 miles).
Park at the sailing club car park and take the path to the west of the reservoir, over a wall and up the hill with the wall on your left. After about 500m get over the wall via a stile (I think) and find the crag.
A pint in the Elm Tree Inn afterwards.
Post below if you are coming.

Cheers,

John

PS I'm not sure if John can make it this week as he is in Anglesey! [Marq]
Marq

Postby Will Hunt » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:41 am

I'm up for something tomorrow. Whether or not I can make it up to Crookrise depends on where I work from tomorrow and whether I can blag a late return home to wife and bairn.
Easterly wind forecast for tomorrow. Slightly concerned that it'll be death by midge at Crookrise unless you're sat on top of the crag.

In theory it could be decent at Yew Cogar or Kilnsey if anyone's up for some sport...?
Will Hunt

Postby LindsayStagg » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:11 pm

I intend to be there :)
LindsayStagg

Postby andymay » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:14 pm

I'm going :D
andymay

Postby norbert » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:30 pm

I plan to be going.
norbert

Postby Will Hunt » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:25 pm

I'll be there.
Will Hunt

Postby JR » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Last minute change of plan, I'm afraid I won't be able to make it this evening.

Cheers,

JR.
JR

Postby Will Hunt » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:32 am

Crookrise was attended by 4 LMC members and several thousand midges. We started together on The Sole which was exquisite. Norbert and Lindsay headed to the End Slab; Andy and I to Flake Wall, a VS 4b which Andy had his eye on. The award for death defying feat of the night must surely go to Andy who proceeded to fall off whilst some distance from the gear. Luckily/unluckily his slithering fall was soon broken by the starting block of Hovis which he ended up straddling. By this point the rope had come tight and stopped the fall. All walked away unscathed.
Will Hunt

Postby CathS » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:59 am

Will Hunt wrote: The award for death defying feat of the night must surely go to Andy who proceeded to fall off whilst some distance from the gear. Luckily/unluckily his slithering fall was soon broken by the starting block of Hovis which he ended up straddling. By this point the rope had come tight and stopped the fall. All walked away unscathed.

Cripes! That sounds like a bit of a near miss :shock: I hope Andy is OK - no doubt a bit shaken up.

I always thought that Crookrise had some real sandbag routes, and I guess this was one of them. I also notice that it's in Steve Ashton's 100 Classic Gritstone Climbs. I wonder what sort of write-up he gives it? A slithering wall of death no doubt!
CathS

Postby norbert » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:36 am

Cheers everyone.
Especially for the hauling on The Sole and the patient belaying whilst I wibbled trying to place pro.
About the Sole, S Ashton says... "A desperate start eases through a strenuous middle section..." Yup about right!
As for Flake Wall "Climb a slanting crack to the R of the boulder arch, finishing with a mantel. Step up and left from a nut slot (crux) to finish near the left edge on improving holds"
A bit of an understatement!
norbert

Postby JR » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:39 pm

Hopefully Andy can select a nicer and safer VS this w/e! :shock:

The Sole's always good value - as is the direct up the arete from the same start ' Family Matters'.

Flake Wall is devoid of protection where you want it - the direct version feels safer as you end up less far away from that crucial gear slot by going straight up!

JR.
JR

Postby andymay » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:52 pm

I think the friction of a full body slide down the crag slowed me enough.
Not sure if I ache from being so pumped up on the Sole, or bruises . . .
andymay

Postby andymay » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:54 pm

JR wrote:Flake Wall is devoid of protection where you want it - the direct version feels safer as you end up less far away from that crucial gear slot by going straight up!

JR.

It is pretty desperate :?
andymay

Return to Evening Meets