Day walk Whernside 20th August

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks

Day walk Whernside 20th August

Postby Mountain_Bee » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi all

So our next planned walk is the wonderful Whernside from Ribblehead Viaduct. The walk will be a circular starting from and going back to the Viaduct. I would say the walk is moderate but not particularly strenuous as the uphill is gradual and the paths are fairly good. The descent is steep so can be challenging on the knees.

Travel: you can use public transport (Settle Carlisle line) to get there or car, so probably one of the most accessible of walks in the Yorkshire Dales. If you do plan to come on the train please give an estimated time of arrival when posting below.

Parking: Roadside/verge

Time to meet: 10:30am due to the parking being limited and the location popular on a weekend at Ribblehead Viaduct.

Map: OL2 Yorkshire Dales Southern and Western areas.

Bring all usual day walking gear and food/drinks, any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Ps. as some of you may know I have set myself the challenge of doing a postcard artwork everyday for a month inspired by the theme 'within the landscape'. I was thinking of doing one of these artworks on the walk during a break for about five minutes. If you would like to join in or if you are happy to just watch just let me know.

Please post below if you are planning to come along,

Bee
Last edited by Mountain_Bee on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain_Bee

Re: Day walk Whernside 20th August

Postby Ainsworp » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:22 pm

Hi Bee, first train from Leeds arrives at 10.30 on a Sunday. Shame because it is by far the best way to arrive at whernside.

Peter
Ainsworp

Postby Mountain_Bee » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:29 pm

Ainsworp wrote:Hi Bee, first train from Leeds arrives at 10.30 on a Sunday. Shame because it is by far the best way to arrive at whernside.

Peter

Hi see change in times, I may well get there earlier though as it will be a fight for parking at that time. I'll do some sketching in the meantime I think.

Car sharing suggested!

Bee
Mountain_Bee

Postby Ainsworp » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:18 am

I will be coming, with Lewis and Bud. None of us can draw or paint though!
Ainsworp

Postby johnnightingale » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:27 am

I'm planning to come
johnnightingale

Return to Weekend Meets