Cavall de Bernatt Ridge - Mallorca

General discussion about anything not covered above.

Cavall de Bernatt Ridge - Mallorca

Postby Andy_G » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:41 pm

https://www.cicerone-extra.com/climbing ... n-mallorca

Off to Mallorca in a couple of weeks and looking at stuff to do.
Anyone done this? Just wondering if we would need harness & rope . Looks like it....

Cheers
Andy_G

Re:

Postby Andy S » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:59 pm

I scrambled along a section of this ridge some years ago. I recall it being more exposed than difficult. There is a 1000ft sheer drop to the sea on one side but any difficulties can be bypassed on the landward side. A rope would therefore be reassuring if you want to stick to the crest of ridge to make the most of the route.
Andy S

Re: Cavall de Bernatt Ridge - Mallorca

Postby Will Hunt » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:37 am

It's supposed to be one of the best easy ridge walks in Europe. I was in Pollenca not too long ago and quite fancied popping out in the morning, but never quite got around to it. Having walked down that valley to the bay, I'd say that having something of a route description would probably be handy to help you pick the easiest line going up and onto the far end of the ridge.

Once you're on it, it's probably straightforward following the ridge itself. Follow the easiest line, follow the polish, and don't fall off! But then, I haven't done it!
Will Hunt

Postby Andy_G » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks. Andy - is it fairly straightforward getting on one end and off the other?
Andy_G

Postby Andy_G » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:48 pm

Don't suppose anyone has the Cicerone guide with the route decription in I could borrow? We have a good Mallorca walking guide but unfortunately this one is not in it.
This one is though:
http://www.mallorcaoutdoors.com/torrent-de-pareis.html
Looks fun :-)
Andy_G

Postby CathS » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:37 pm

I look forward to the trip report Andy - it's somewhere I really fancy visiting. I'd been eyeing up the Cavall de Bernatt ridge too.

I haven't done as much research as you on the route, but if I read a description suggesting a choice between an abseil or a difficult down-climb, I'd be taking a rope and a harness along, as difficult solo downclimbs tend to be the territory of the high-grade rock climber, not the average punter.
CathS

Postby Andy_G » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:53 pm

Actually - I think we have enough info to have a go.. Seems to be paths along it and option to avoid the technical bits so no need to take a rope and harnesses over there.
https://climbapedia.org/content/cavall-bernat-ridge
Andy_G

Postby JR » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:08 am

I did this (15?) years ago via the 'standard' walking route which ascends an unlikely looking tower about half-way along the ridge and it was mostly a fairly obvious path even then. The tower is the only real scrambling section and I don't remember anything more technical than Jake's Rake (say), though it is considerably more exposed for a short section. The old blow-holes and sea-arches at the top of the ridge are well worth the deviation to see up close - they are visible from the route we took back then.
I'd strongly advise wearing long and hard wearing trousers for the walk as the way down goes through some very spiky terrain (both rock and plant-life)!

The full ridge traverse from the seaward end is a full-on mountaineering expedition with the potential for some sections that need abseiling (though I know people who have soloed it). One day I'll get get to do the whole thing (and, of course, it's mainland Spain near-twin - the Bernia ridge!)

Hope you have a great day out :-)

JR.
JR

Postby Andy_G » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:45 am

Cheers JR .
I found a couple of good descriptions of it by the time we got there. It was though just far too hot to be climbing 1000 feet to get on the ridge - an initial local coastal walk had to be curtailed in 30+ degrees heat and a retreat to do some cove swimming instead. We'd have had to get up and go at sunrise (an hour driving to get there...) and to be honest couldn't be arsed as we were on holiday and already had 2 early starts booked out of the 4 days we had at Soller. (One was the very excellent Torrent de Pareis and the other was a cycling day for me). Did drive over that way on our last day before Palma and had a look at it - and it looks most impressive, and easily accessible. Definitely one for next time.
SO much to do on Mallorcra though. Amazing place. :D
Andy_G

Return to General