Training 2018

Please only post details of Mountain Safety & Awareness

Re: Training 2018

Postby Lindsay M » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:52 am

JR - Harrogate CC have chains at floor level by the fire doors that are ideal for practicing before sport climbing outdoors. I think HuddCC have it too. Sarah S and I both used it before heading out to Spain to make sure we were confident. Happy to show anyone who isn't sure.
Lindsay M

Postby Will Hunt » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:25 am

Lindsay M wrote:Will and Luke, if you guys are happy to spend a bit of time on basic skills it would be much appreciated.

Happy to do this. One thing that I would say is that if people are wanting to learn to lead then it would be worth doing some homework before coming on the meet to learn the basics of placing gear. Teaching how to build belays, and lead routes is much easier if people are equipped with this info. It's quite difficult at lots of the crags we visit on Tuesday nights to teach the basics of gear placement because there is a lack of good, varied gear placements at ground level in a concentrated area.

These videos are a good place to start:
http://tv.thebmc.co.uk/videos/how-to-place-a-cam/
http://tv.thebmc.co.uk/videos/how-to-place-a-nut/
http://tv.thebmc.co.uk/videos/how-to-place-a-hex/
Will Hunt

Postby Luke J » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:53 am

Lindsay - No problem, we can sort something out.

As Will said - a bit of pre reading/video watching definitely helps. I have the Libby Peters 'Rock Climbing Essential Skills and Techniques' book which is gives really clear descriptions and advice on everything from placing gear to building belays to horrendously complicated rescues. Happy to lend it out to anyone interested.

JR - I have been on courses for some of those things and have read up and tried out the techniques on others so I supposedly know how to do them. I'm certainly not in a position to teach anyone but I'd definitely be keen to join LMCers wanting to go over this stuff as a group refresher/troubleshooting exercise. I try and go over it before I go on any big trips and inevitably forget it by the time the next one rolls round.
Luke J

Postby LindsayStagg » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:41 pm

I would also be interested in doing a course on navigation and basic rope work...Setting up belay and so on.
LindsayStagg

Postby SarahS » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:06 am

Late to the party but I'd love to learn more ropework skills - essentially self rescue stuff - and more confidence in gear placement so I can push my grades. Lacking so much in confidence in trad leading. :(
SarahS

Postby Sarae » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks for the responses all.
So the scores on the doors looks like this:

Claire
Lindsay s
Lindsay Mc
Sarah S
Ed Steele,
are interested in some kind of basic rope work.

Luke, Will, Will and Karl have offered to show folks the ropes, literally. This will NOT be a training course, it’s just sharing knowledge and skills with fellow club members regarding rope work. I emphasise this is not a training course.
The aforementioned fellows will be in touch on the B.B. of what they can offer and potential dates (most likely on a Tuesday evening)

In terms of Navigation,
Claire
Jodie
Lindsay S
all have expressed an interest.

I’ve checked out subsidised courses with the BMC (of which there are none avaialable this year). So I am afraid, we can’t help out with subsidies much (or at all) this year

I chatted with Peak Mountaineering (the company who we have previously used for our rope work/alpine skills/nav training), who have some ‘ itineraries’ which we can plug into. Basically they charge their daily rate (approx £200), and we can have a number of people attending.
The move to lead climb outside can be provided, but the training ratio is usually 1:2.

I am awaiting their e mail but thought I’d provide an update.

In summary, I will post out suggested itineraries when I receive them (from (Peak Mountaineering), we know what the rate is, so depending on numbers, we know the cost per person.

We can put on a ropework ‘show & tell’, which hopefully will offer a helpful insight as to what people think they need in terms of learning to lead/ moving outside and we can firm up training with a fully qualified company.

In addition, I discussed winter mountaineering/winter skills training which may be another are people may be interested in.

Happy to receive feedback.
Sara
Sarae

Re: Training 2018 Update

Postby Sarae » Tue May 01, 2018 1:07 pm

Hello....and here`s an update on potential training course.
After speaking with our `preferred provider`(Peak Mountaineering) I have listed below a set of training which can be offered to LMC members.
The cost would be between £40 and £45 depending on numbers.
If we do a Winter Skills, we would put a one day course on to coincide with a Scottish Winter meet.
No fixed dates yet but I need to get a feel for numbers (and idea of best month for you).

Advanced Navigation Course
This day is designed for those with previous navigation experience who want to add extra tools to their navigation toolbox and push their navigation strategies on more challenging featureless terrain. The content will, to some extent, be tailored to meet the needs of participants but it is expected we will cover the following as a minimum:

- Applying navigational strategies such as aiming off, attack points, handrailing, overshoot features and aspect of slope
- Understanding a range of map types and scales
- Understand the use of both large and small contour features on the map and on the ground
- Develop decision making factors affecting route choice
- Judging distance accurately on the map and being able to relate this to distance travelled on the ground
- Employing appropriate relocation strategies
- Using a compass to follow accurate bearings and to check the direction of footpaths or other linear features on both the map and ground
- Additional skills that can be employed when navigating in poor weather

Self Rescue
This day is designed to give participants a set of key rescue skills that can be adapted to a variety of situations and terrain types. The exact content can be flexible enough to cater for individual participant experience levels and requirements but the range of areas covered will include:
- Choosing suitable self-rescue equipment for general use
- Tying off a belay plate
​- ​Escaping the system
​- ​Lowering a climber
​- ​Lowering a climber past a knot
​- ​Accompanied abseils
​- ​Ascending a rope
​- ​Assisted and unassisted hoists

Multi Pitch Efficiency
This day will focus on efficiency tips and tricks to make multi pitch climbing quicker and more efficient. The exact content can be flexible enough to cater for individual participant experience levels and requirements but the range of areas covered will include:
- Stance management skills for multi-pitch efficiency
- Rope management for efficiency and speed
- Equipment choice and organisation for multi-pitch climbing
- Belay building tips to improve efficiency on longer climbs
- Improving efficiency and safety on multi-pitch abseils
- Abseiling tips when using double ropes and single ropes with a rap line

​Indoor to Outdoor Climber

Easy access to climbing walls has allowed many more people to try climbing. However, it can be tricky to then learn the skills to make an efficient transition to outdoor trad. The exact content can be tailored to the group members but the range of topics covered will include:

​- ​Choosing and the correct use of equipment
​- ​Understanding climbing grade systems and the use of guidebooks
​- ​Crag etiquette
​- ​Climbing movement skills
​- ​Correct methods for tying into a rope
​- ​Belaying and lowering other climbers
​- ​Understanding climbing terminology
​- ​Understanding types of rock climbing protection
​- ​Placing protection and setting up anchors to belay a partner

Winter Skills
The winter mountains are an incredible adventure playground but to stay safe in this environment it is essential winter hill goers have the key skills to stay safe. This skills course is aimed at both those new to the winter environment and those with some winter experience who want to progress their skills. The exact content can be tailored to the group members but the range of topics covered will include:

- Choosing suitable equipment and clothing for winter
- Developing efficient footwork for winter
- Use of ice axe/ ice axe arrest
- Use of crampons/ movement techniques
- Avalanche awareness and avoidance
- Introduction to winter weather and winter navigation
- Managing safety on steep ground
- Planning a day out in winter
- Constructing emergency snow shelters and emergency procedures
- Route choice in winter conditions
Sarae

Postby Lindsay M » Tue May 01, 2018 1:35 pm

Interested in self rescue and/or multi-pitch. I should be able to be reasonable flexible over timing but have holidays planned in mid September and end of October.
Lindsay M

Postby CathS » Tue May 01, 2018 1:38 pm

I might be interested in doing the advanced navigation day if it really is advanced navigation this time (last year it got modified to be more of a beginners' course - so I didn't go). Preferably later in the year sometime when it's dark and dank and there isn't much else happening.
CathS

Postby Lindsay M » Tue May 01, 2018 2:05 pm

CathS wrote:I might be interested in doing the advanced navigation day if it really is advanced navigation this time (last year it got modified to be more of a beginners' course - so I didn't go). Preferably later in the year sometime when it's dark and dank and there isn't much else happening.

Not sure if this will help inform your decision but:
In spite of Kev and I both feeling like we were not very advanced, we covered everything on the list above apart from bad weather. Mid-November, gloriously clear and sunny day, what are the odds??
At the beginning of the day, the instructor quickly went over the key etc on the map but it's definitely aimed at those that are used to reading OS maps
Instructor may have started a bit slower for us as we weren't very confident, so you can probably cover even more if you're more self assured than we were
I feel like I got a lot out of the day, especially pacing, timings, bearings and confidence
Lindsay M

Postby Dave R » Tue May 01, 2018 2:07 pm

I could be interested in an advanced navigation course too (along the lines of Cath's thoughts).
Dave R

Postby Tom_J » Tue May 01, 2018 2:07 pm

Hi Sarah,

Are there pre-requisites for any of the courses?

E.g. requirement to be a competent trad leader ready to progress for multi pitch or self rescue.

Or, a minimal level experience for advanced navigation.

I'd be interested in self rescue and navigation, no timing constraints. Jen might be interested in navigation.

Thanks, Tom
Tom_J

Postby SarahS » Fri May 04, 2018 1:01 pm

Self rescue and multipitch pleeeease. I need more confidence for multi pitch
SarahS

Postby Sarae » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:27 pm

Many apologies for the delay in getting back to you all. Just trying to make sense of it all.

So far,
Self rescue...Lindsay M, Sarah S, Tom
Multi pitch....Lindsay M, Sarah S
Basic Nav Claire T, Jodie, Lindsay S,
Advanced nav (only if it is advanced)....Cath, Sara, Dave R, Jen
Winter Skills (of any kind). Currently no takers.

Previously Claire, Lindsays (Mc and Stagg) Sarah S and Ed Steele expressed interest in basic rope work. Is this still required or do you feel that the support from fellow LMCers has done the trick?
Do any of your needs fall into the descriptions of what Peak Mountaineering are offering (see earlier descriptions)?

Peak Mountaineering charge us £180 per day, so for 3 signed up for example, it will be £60 each.

1/ Of those who have expressed an interest (above), do you wish me to continue pursuing dates for the training as described? If so please confirm, and if possible identify suitable days.

2/ If anyone is interested in joining any of the pre arranged courses run by Peak Mountaineering (see their website), let me know and we can negotiate a discount.

Peak Mountaineering are very happy to support us, and if they can offer anything else to match our needs, they will try and accommodate.

Thanks in anticipation of your confirmation/responses.
Sara
Sarae

Postby Lindsay M » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:56 pm

Will H spent an evening with me placing gear, setting up and equalising belays and since then I've led a few routes. I'm not dead and neither are the brave souls who have seconded for me so I reckon it's done the trick.

Still interested in the courses you have me down for as well
Lindsay M

PreviousNext

Return to Mountain Safety & Awareness