Ilkley Quarry Tuesday 17th April

Topics related to evening meets, including indoor and outdoor evening climbing meets

Ilkley Quarry Tuesday 17th April

Postby Will S » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:52 am

After last week's confusion I've sorted the weather out for his week.

I should be there about half 5 so see you there. I can put a top rope up for anyone wanting one or wanting to practice leading.

See you there.

Will
Will S

Re: Ilkley Quarry Tuesday 17th April

Postby Tomasz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:27 pm

I will try to be there, planning to get the train from Leeds after work and then walk up from the station. Can bring my rack and rope if anyone else is up for climbing.
Tomasz

Postby Will S » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi Tomasz,

What time are you planning to get the train from Leeds?. I can possibly hang on and pick you up form Guiseley train station.
Will S

Postby Jodie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi, I can hopefully make it but I'm a total beginner outdoor climbing. I just have shoes, harness, belay device, carabiner not really sure what I'll need but would just be top roping to start with anywaye if ones set up. Hoping to get into it more this summer though. Also what's postcode of where it's near to please?

I'm driving from featherstone WF7 if I pass anyone on the way that needs a lift?

Jodie
Jodie

Postby John McMahon » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:43 pm

I plan to be there. I will aim to get there about 5pm. I will bring a full rack and half rope, plus a sports rope and don't mind setting up a top rope for beginners.

Cheers
john mcmahon
John McMahon

Postby Will Hunt » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:06 pm

I'll be there if it's dry. If anyone wants to do beginner's stuff (learning to belay, placing gear, equalising belays) then collar me at the crag or let me know on here beforehand.
Will Hunt

Postby Kharrison23 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:09 pm

I intend to attend but on the weather it will depend.

Karl
Kharrison23

Postby JR » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:44 pm

My operation has been put back one week, so I am actually free for this: however, I'm currently without car so I'll require a lift if I'm actually going to attend.
Anyone likely to be coming via Saltaire/Shipley area tomorrow evening?

JR.
JR

Postby Lindsay M » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:53 pm

Jodie wrote:Hi, I can hopefully make it but I'm a total beginner outdoor climbing. I just have shoes, harness, belay device, carabiner not really sure what I'll need but would just be top roping to start with anywaye if ones set up. Hoping to get into it more this summer though. Also what's postcode of where it's near to please?

I'm driving from featherstone WF7 if I pass anyone on the way that needs a lift?

Jodie

I'd advise investing in a helmet for outdoors, not just to protect you if you fall but also to protect from rock fall, dropped gear from above and various other perils (I also have a habit of headbutting the rock but that might just be me). Well worth the investment to keep your noggin intact :) Other than that, bring what you have as well as the usual snacks, water, warm layer etc that you'd take for walking.

EDIT: It's near the cow and calf rock cafe LS29 8RF... I think. I've not been before so I'm just going on what Google says. Most of the crags can be checked on UK Climbing which gives info on parking and has maps etc.
Lindsay M

Postby Lindsay M » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:07 pm

Will Hunt wrote:I'll be there if it's dry. If anyone wants to do beginner's stuff (learning to belay, placing gear, equalising belays) then collar me at the crag or let me know on here beforehand.

I'm hoping to come along.

I'm interested in setting up and equalising belays and gear placement, but I'm also mildly terrified of actually leading. Any tips in that area would be appreciated too :P
Lindsay M

Postby Tomasz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Will S wrote:Hi Tomasz,

What time are you planning to get the train from Leeds?. I can possibly hang on and pick you up form Guiseley train station.

That could be helpful, thanks for the offer.

Will leave direct from work, supposed to finish at 16:45 but no guarantee, aiming for 17:02, 17:16 is the next train I think.

The walk doesn't look too far if timing doesn't work for you.

My number is 07787791802.

Hopefully see you tomorrow.
Tomasz

Postby Will Hunt » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:40 pm

Lindsay M wrote:
Will Hunt wrote:I'll be there if it's dry. If anyone wants to do beginner's stuff (learning to belay, placing gear, equalising belays) then collar me at the crag or let me know on here beforehand.

I'm hoping to come along.

I'm interested in setting up and equalising belays and gear placement, but I'm also mildly terrified of actually leading. Any tips in that area would be appreciated too :P

Nice one.
Will Hunt

Postby Luke J » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:49 pm

I'm coming.

Happy to help with belays, gear placements etc.

JR - I can offer you a lift home but can't help with getting there as I'll be leaving from Guiseley at 5. There's always the train...
Luke J

Postby Jodie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:38 pm

Will Hunt if you make it with the weather I'll be in need of learning some beginners stuff please.
I'll be leaving featherstone about 3- 330 to avoid rush hour traffic if anyone wants a lift. I'd rather get there really early and sit in cow and calf early than sit in traffic.

Thanks for the info Lindsey, doubt I'll have time to get a helmet for tomorrow but I don't think i be doing anything too adventurous for my first attempt, more learning I hope.

Where do you park / meet? I had a look on the UK climbing but not sure where you'll all be?
Last edited by Jodie on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jodie

Postby Will Hunt » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi Jodie, could I refer you to the very capable Luke Jones? I think I'm going to be booked up with Lindsay getting her through her intensive learning to lead programme.
Will Hunt

Next

Return to Evening Meets