Ecrin Aug/Sept 2017

General discussion about anything not covered above.

Re: Ecrin Aug/Sept 2017

Postby Helen C » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi Paul, I ended up booking the sleeper to Paris and then Eurostar to the UK. The advantage of trains is they don't charge for luggage. The best flight options I found was the Easyjet Marseille to Manchester route. There are direct trains to Marseille, Grenoble & Paris and one change to Lyon. It is a lot of travelling for a short trip but hopefully worth it, although I haven't had chance to practice my "nifty footwork" for the granite slabs.
Helen C
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:55 pm
Location: North Leeds

Re: Ecrin Aug/Sept 2017

Postby Plucas » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:36 am

Helen C wrote:Hi Paul, I ended up booking the sleeper to Paris and then Eurostar to the UK. The advantage of trains is they don't charge for luggage. The best flight options I found was the Easyjet Marseille to Manchester route. There are direct trains to Marseille, Grenoble & Paris and one change to Lyon. It is a lot of travelling for a short trip but hopefully worth it, although I haven't had chance to practice my "nifty footwork" for the granite slabs.


Helen, I also saw that there's a London - Modane train that takes 10 hours with just 2 changes.

You can also practice multiple abseils down 200m of vertical slab. :shock:
User avatar
Plucas
 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:58 pm
Location: Washington TW

Re: Ecrin Aug/Sept 2017

Postby Helen C » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:10 pm

You can also practice multiple abseils down 200m of vertical slab. :shock:

I had a bit of abseil practice in Orpierre last summer. I just need practice navigating so I find the right crag, right climb and right descent route ...
Helen C
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:55 pm
Location: North Leeds

Re: Ecrin Aug/Sept 2017

Postby Kev » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:44 pm

Plucas wrote:You can also practice multiple abseils down 200m of vertical slab. :shock:


Try it at night. With one headtorch between two. And no moon. And knots to pass in the ropes. :shock:

Might even be worth 'epic of the year'... :roll: :oops:
User avatar
Kev
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:40 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Ecrin Aug/Sept 2017

Postby Plucas » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:30 am

Helen C wrote:
You can also practice multiple abseils down 200m of vertical slab. :shock:

I had a bit of abseil practice in Orpierre last summer. I just need practice navigating so I find the right crag, right climb and right descent route ...


Yes I remember our route finding was pretty hopeless.
User avatar
Plucas
 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:58 pm
Location: Washington TW

Re: Ecrin Aug/Sept 2017

Postby Plucas » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:33 am

Kev wrote:
Plucas wrote:You can also practice multiple abseils down 200m of vertical slab. :shock:


Try it at night. With one headtorch between two. And no moon. And knots to pass in the ropes. :shock:

Might even be worth 'epic of the year'... :roll: :oops:


That sounds pretty epic. Biggest lesson I learned was not to throw the ropes over together, spent about 20 minutes hanging over an abyss untangling the ropes.
User avatar
Plucas
 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:58 pm
Location: Washington TW

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests