Win Hill Pike walk Sunday 15th October

Topics related to weekend meets, including day walks

Win Hill Pike walk Sunday 15th October

Postby Mountain_Bee » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Hi all

The walk this month is next Sunday on the 15th October and is up Win Hill Pike in the Peak District.

This walk has a lot to offer, a Hill with a steep climb to start, moorland, excellent views, woodland walking, ruins and Reservoir walking. This walk is dog friendly but be aware there are sheep everywhere on this walk.

Description: Starting at Heatherdene car park on the A6013 we cross over Ladybower Reservoir heading in a westerly direction. At the junction of paths we turn downhill to meet up with the very steep climb up through the woodland (Parkin Clough). Continuing up the permissive path through the plantation to the summit of Win Hill (463m) and its Pike. After a short rest stop we follow the path over Thornhill Brink eventually leading us to a junction of paths near Woolen Knoll where we follow the path hugging the woodland in a NW direction to The Guide Post where we take a path down through the woods to some ruins. Then we rejoin the Reservoir Path coming back on ourselves to the crossing over the Reservoir (Ladybower) and then back to the car park.

The walk takes about 5 hours with rest stops for brunch and lunch, distance is approximately 14km.

Meet at: Heatherdene car park on A6013 on Easterly end of Ladybower Reservoir.

Parking charge: £2.50 all day when I last checked

Meeting time: 9:30am

Usual day kit for walking required, is muddy in sections so walking boots/ gaiters advisable, getting colder so hot drink and warm/water proof clothing advised.

If you intend to come please post below, my number is in the private section.

Thanks
Bee
Mountain_Bee

Re: Win Hill Pike walk Sunday 15th October

Postby Mountaineer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:05 pm

Just having a look at what is going on, is anyone thinking of joining this walk, I might so looking to share the journey. I am in Headingley, Leeds.
Paul Hudson
May your footsteps tread the unfrequented byways
Mountaineer

Postby Maggie C » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:56 pm

Hello

I am planning to join the walk unless I suddenly get a furniture delivery/installation related call. Dawn and Simon will be coming with me. Not sure yet whether I will be travelling from Pontefract or Rothwell yet.
Maggie C

Postby johnnightingale » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:38 am

I'm planning to go
johnnightingale

Postby Ainsworp » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:55 pm

I will probably come, will check on restrictions for dogs first this time.......
Ainsworp

Postby Mountaineer » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:38 pm

I will not make this after all some bug has got the better of me at the moment.
Paul Hudson
May your footsteps tread the unfrequented byways
Mountaineer

Return to Weekend Meets